Ohio National Road
The Ohio National Road Association, the statewide organization, continues to add informational signage along The National
Road. Approximately thirty signs have been placed across the state of Ohio. These signs share history and educational information pertinent to the location where they are placed.
Informational Sign Unveiling
On Sunday, June 1st three of these signs will be unveiled at two locations along The National Road in Muskingum County. A Welcome Sign and a Mile Marker Sign will be unveiled at the National Road-Zane Grey Museum at 2:15 pm with a “Motel” Sign unveiling following at 2:45 pm. at Baker’s Motel located across the road from the museum. Baker’s Motel was selected as the perfect location for the “Motel” sign which shares photographs of early transportation and motel signage as well as the history of development of these accommodations from the early 1900’s. There were “mom and pop” motels located all along Route 40 in all sizes. Many of these such as Baker’s Motel remain along older highways today.
We invite you to attend the ceremony to dedicate these signs.
For Immediate Release
Mary Ellen Weingartner, Vice President
Ohio National Road Association
Ohio Scenic Byways
Just saw this great video that Ohio Tourism has developed and thought that I would share it with everyone.
Comparing Lodging Properties
What does Baker’s Motel offer that other local properties do not?
- A quiet country setting, no other property in Guernsey or Muskingum County offers this.
- Large Family Rooms – Our rooms with two beds are the largest in both counties and we have done alot of upgrading on this building also, though we still have the same paneling but what we have updated is the air-conditioning, Flat-screen televisions, most faucets are new, all carpet recently replaced, all painted recently, bed spreads, pillows and linens also are newer.
- Family owned and operated – My wife and I have owned and operated the property for over 30 years.
- Large Antique Shop on premise – No other properties offer this.
- Unlike many properties if you encounter something that does not work we fix it, so you can enjoy you stay unlike most other properties that offer a discount upon leaving. Say you rent a room and the air-conditioning is not working you at the chain you normally get to enjoy the room without ac, not at Baker’s we have spare new units, though most of ours are already newer units.
Fall is over and winter is here, most of the other properties still have their rates to over $100. per night for a one bed room and much higher for larger rooms but at Baker’s you can stay for just under half of that for one bed and probably about half also of what they charge on the two bed rooms. Grant it some of the properties are pretty new but if what you are looking is a clean and updated room with a fridge and microwave, wireless internet, color tv, and a comfortable country setting and rooms that are very quiet then stay with us.
What is new in 2014 at Baker’s Motel?
- Non- Smoking Rooms two bed rooms offer 40″ Flat Screen Tv’s.
- All nightly one bed rooms offer 32″ Flat Screens
- All One bed room extended stay now have new Amana Heater / Air Units
- Curtains all rooms
- All new outdoor furniture around motel
- New Gutters around back of one bed rooms.
- New Glass block windows in all one bed rooms.
- Many updates are back end so you will not really notice.
At Baker’s Motel we are continually updating to make your stay more enjoyable, stop by and enjoy the past in the present.