HISTORICAL FAMILY OWNED MOTEL
ZANESVILLE, OHIO MOTEL/ OHIO HOTEL
HISTORICAL MOTEL – OHIO 40 MOTEL 1937 – 2023
Historical Baker’s Motel – Late 1930’s
The original courtyard rooms, where the cars were parked between the rooms as they are today.
The motel was built by I.B. Baker – who owned Baker’s Motel from 1937 – 1963. I.B. raised coon hounds and had some National Champion dogs in 1928.
Mr. Baker gave the land across the street to the State of Ohio for the Zane Grey Museum in return, and the state put an exit here, now exit 164, in Norwich, Ohio.
In the beginning, the motel was simply cabins, but as traffic grew on the National Road. Baker’s Motel continued its growth. New additions were added in the late ’40s and early ’50s, including rooms where parking was once available. Baker’s Motel was one of the first motels on US 40, the National Road. Most other lodging properties after Baker’s Motel are long gone, today Baker’s Motel is still going strong. Records show the original part of the motel was built in 1937, making Baker’s possibly one of the oldest motels in Ohio still operating.
Talking with some locals, it appears that the motel was moved to the top of the hill in 1937, as Baker’s was originally down the road from 1919 to 1937. When we purchased the property in 1980, we noticed that at the bottom of the hill on the right side of 40 was a dilapidated structure that looked like a small motel, we always wondered what it was, and now we know.
Baker’s Motel – Late 30’s – mid 40’s
During this period, the motel consisted of 41 rooms, with the addition of rooms where cars once parked in the ’30s and the wings of the motel were added. Our small building, which consists of 4 family rooms, was added in the ’50s.
- The motel became a 41-unit motel.
- At the time was one of the most modern motels on US 40
- Another fun fact is that Baker’s Motel was one of the first Quality Courts now known as Quality Inns, in addition to a Best Western Motel, both at the same time.
- Owned by The Baker’s family
Historical Baker’s Motel – 1960
The ’60s brought about many changes in the motel and the area; as I-70 opened, the motel added 20 additional rooms with two beds and the area’s largest pool in front of this section. Baker’s Motel now consisted of 61 modern rooms.
In 1963 the motel was sold to General Theater Corporation out of Cleveland, Ohio. This company owned most drive-ins in Ohio.
- The back 20 rooms were added, which are large family rooms
- A large swimming pool was added
- Interstate 70 was completed, and an exit for Norwich, Ohio, was added
We no longer have a swimming pool.
Ohio Historical Motel / Family Owned and Operated
Baker’s Motel continues the long-standing tradition of providing quality lodging at a reasonable price and has been doing so since the late ’30s. Many of the strip motels that came after we are now falling apart structures that have not been operating motels for decades. At Baker’s Motel, we continually upgrade our property, offering clean and comfortable accommodations for workers and travelers alike. Almost 3 years ago we opened our newest addition to the property, Norwich Antiques and More, an Antique and Gift shop for guests and travelers. Our hours are listed on our Facebook page and Google Listing.
Historical Baker’s Motel – 1960
- 1937 – 1963 The Baker family owned the motel along with the restaurant that used to be next door to the motel.
- 1963 – 1973 General Theater Company owned the property out of Cleveland, Ohio. This company owned most of the drive-ins in Ohio.
- 1973 – 1980 Kim Zachary owned the property and kept it just as it was initially.
- 1980 – Present My family has owned the property and continues to run Baker’s today. We continually update the property but maintain the original look and feel. Today, the motel has 53 rooms, where it used to have 61, but we made eight rooms into our Antique Shop. We are still here in 2023!
Have Questions? Call Us
Anything related to stay! or reservation, our help desk is ready to take call and support you!. You are welcome to send us a message through contact us form!
or call us @ +1-740-872-3232